Saturday, January 31, 2015

Snow days!

The last few days here in the UK have brought us the much anticipated snow I have been yearning for since 2013. We didn't see a lot of snow at all last year and since I have been living in this area for nearly 16 years now, I was quite disappointed. Every year, without fail we get copious amounts of snow, but not last year. 

Well, it came finally, and much to everyone's delight , we had a couple of snow days off school. 

This was us driving to school on Thursday.....


And then driving home again as a snow day had been called. I loved the way the trees were totally covered. This was one of two roads I was particularly worried about going home on as they are uphill and very slippy. 


Once home, the kids wanted to play out so off they trotted.


 Neighbours came out to play as well and they built a very tall snowman! 

More snow followed...


And it was the first time I had seen one of these on our estate. A snow plough! I managed to snap it before it went whizzing off down the road. 


This left me with much needed time to make some progress on my Lizzie*Kate ABC of Christmas. I had put this down to be a February finish challenge but to be honest I am almost nearly done with it so might set a new challenge if I can finish it in the next few days. 


I have really enjoyed stitching up the various motifs. I especially love that reindeer. He just needs his red nose on him now. 

I have also been crocheting a few squares for charity. The pattern has been given by Theemuts on Ravelry to be used in SIBOL's 1000th charity blanket and she also makes blankets for her own charity too. You can find details here - LINK. Which colour square do you like best?





That's me for this week folks. Hope you're all doing well and surviving the cold. 

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

20 comments:

Brigitte said...

So wonderful when you have snow - if you like it, lol. During my 37 years of teaching we had two snow days and that was it. Although we always get lots of snow nearly every winter. But up here in the mountains people are used to it.

Great progress on your LK piece. And great new granny squares that you made for the charity project.

VeggieMummy said...

Ooh, a snow day - my daughter will be so envious. Only a light flurry here so far, but we're hopeful! That's a rather magnificent snowman. Love the Christmas ABC and well done with the charity crocheted squares - I couldn't decide between the turquoise and the lilac; I love them both! Have fun in the snow. x

Lynn said...

Hi Hazel,

Yes I love snow too but, like you, we did not have much either, it always looks so beautiful when it first falls.
Love the crochet squares, all colours are pretty.

Christine said...

No snow here :(
Great progress on the LK and I love the vibrant colour combos in the granny squares

Andrea said...

We had some snow too yesterday, caused chaos and then the sun came out and it has nearly all gone today.
Great stitching on your LK piece.

Ali said...

Lovely snowy pictures but you can keep the white stuff! We've had light dustings here which freezes over night I am tired of scraping the car in the mornings roll on spring! My kids however are most disappointed. Love the crochet squares colours bright and cheery. Ali x

Margaret said...

I'm not into snow. I prefer none. lol! I need to move! Love the pics though -- fun times! Beautiful stitching, and love the charity blocks too. Pretty colors!

Vickie said...

You have made me smile Hazel. We are very used to snow and snow and cold days. And we see snow plows often. ;)
I love that snowman!
I like the first color combo best of all.

Shirlee said...

Beautiful stitching, gorgeous squares, but nothing beats that snow : )

faith76 said...

Wow, what an amazing amount of snow! I wish it would snow in my bit of the country but alas it has missed us, a bit of sleet but it's not settled. I like the red top crochet square, but they are all nice colour combinations.

Margaret said...

Gorgeous snowy pictures Hazel. The kids look like they are having a ball.

We are expecting loads tomorrow. I'm sorry to say I'm not as thrilled about it as you are.

Clare-Aimetu said...

It's nice to have a bit of snow now and then. Your LK is lovely :-)

Una said...

Great squares. I think my favourite is the second one with the blue background. I've been lucky and haven't seen any snow yet this winter.

Barbi said...

Although snow is such a pain in the butt to deal with, it sure does make everything look magical.
Great stitching, and I'm loving your squares too.

Maggie said...

Ooooh you got way more snow than us!
I love the peacefulness that descends when it snows.

I like the colours of the first crochet square, but they are all nice :-)

Julie said...

The snows always nice to look at out of the window or in this case on my screen lol.
Super LK you have been busy.

Jackie's Stitches said...

It looks like you made the most of your snow days! I wish I had one. Though I imagine it's not fun if the electricity goes off. Your pictures are wonderful!

Filonico said...

It 's very nice to enjoy the snow. I love to stay at home on days like you're living, you create atmosphere of peace and serenity. Good weekend of great serenity.

Sally said...

Oh wow I wish we'd had that much snow!

You ABC looks wonderful and love your crochet squares.

Caitlin @ Naughts Cross Stitches said...

The purple square.